Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Boudica's Soliloquy

 



Boudica's Soliloquy

by 

Dawn Pisturino


Foul deeds of war  have broken me.
Come, smell the blood! Hear the moans of the dying!
The corpses of my daughters lay silently at my feet,
Shamed and murdered by our Roman tormentors.
Colchester and London -- what glorious victories! --
The blood flowed freely from Roman wounds.
They howled in rage as they died. How we cheered!
But Rome's crawling legions caught us in their snare,
And now, we are vanquished.
Britannia is no more. Weep for a chastised people!
No longer Queen, I am marked for death.
No longer Mother, I will not be consoled.
No longer Wife, I burn with revenge.
I lift the flask of poison to my lips, tasting the bitterness in my mouth.
I will lie here with my daughters, my shield across my breast
And my spear by my side, and welcome Death with honor.

Published in the June 2022 Wounds I Healed: The Poetry of Strong Women anthology, #1 Amazon best-seller in New Releases of Poetry Anthologies. Available now on Amazon in print or Kindle.

Amazon Description:

Award-winning authors, Pushcart nominees, emerging poets, voices of women and men, come to the fore in this stunning, powerful, and unique anthology. Their poems testify to the challenges that women face in our society, and to their power to overcome them. A memorable collection of over 200 poems by more than 100 authors, this anthology is a must-have for anyone. We all can benefit from the poetry of survival, and of healing. We all can benefit from the experiences so beautifully evoked in this book. We can all come together to emerge triumphant from pain.”

~

Dawn Pisturino

September 6, 2022

Copyright 2022 Dawn Pisturino. All Rights Reserved.





No comments:

Post a Comment