Saturday, December 18, 2021

Saint Nikolaus's Companion, Knecht Ruprecht

 



From out the forest I now appear,

To proclaim that Christmastide is here!

For at the top of every tree

Are golden lights for all to see;

And there from heaven's gate on high

I saw our Christ-child in the sky.

And in among the darkened trees,

A loud voice it was that called to me:

"Knecht Ruprecht, old fellow," it cried,

"Hurry now, make haste. Don't hide!

All the candles have now been lit --

Heaven's gate has opened wide!

Both young and old should now have rest

Away from cares and daily stress;

And when tomorrow to earth I fly

'It's Christmas again!' will be the cry."

And then I said: "O Lord so dear.

My journey's end is now quite near;

But to the town I've still to go,

Where the children are good, I know."

"But have you then that great sack?"

"I have," I said, "It's on my back,

For apples, almonds, fruit and nuts

For God-fearing children are a must."

"And is that cane there by your side?"

"The cane's there too," I did reply;

"But only for those, those naughty ones,

Who have it applied to their backsides."

The Christ-child spoke: "Then that's all right!

My loyal servant, go with God this night!"

From out the forest I now appear;

To proclaim that Christmastide is here!

Now speak, what is there here to be had?

Are there good children, are there bad?

Theodor Storm

Translated from the German by Denis Jackson, Isle of Wight.

BIO: Theodor Storm (1817-1888) was a German poet, novelist, and lawyer known for the lyrical quality of his work. He died of cancer in 1888. Knecht Ruprecht (Krampus) is still a popular figure seen in Germany at Christmas, even today.




No comments:

Post a Comment